This leg of the race started in Shanghai, China. It was also revealed that the winner of the leg would win an Express Pass. The 5 most interesting things to happen on this leg of the Amazing Race were:
5. Staying with the pack can be very useful. For the first flight of this leg all the teams got on the same flight to Indonesia except the Monster Truck couple who chose a different route with a 4 hour layover in Hong Kong. The huge error did not affect the monster truckers because the next task did not start until 8:00am the next morning.
4. Long hair do care. The rock star and the lawyer team was able to gain one hour on their competitors when they immediately went for stand by tickets for the final leg of their flight to Indonesia. This team has seemed to be yo yoing throughout the race. They often get to first place, but then fall behind after some sort of roadblock or detour.
3. The Twins utilized some home field advantage. They are not from Indonesia, but they are familiar with that part of the world and the crowded conditions. The Twins set out to win this leg of the race and they did so by picking the fish detour, while all the other teams did the ice transporting detour. The Twins may have what it takes to win this whole thing as they have showed that they are willing to get messy, but still keep their nice disposition. They also secured an alliance with the Texas couple who happened to finish second in this leg. We will have to wait to see how effectively the Twins use their “express pass” or if they waste it too early.
2. “Gays are good at making balloon animals”, but little people are not. The Roadblock required one team member to pedal a classic children’s ride while making 4 balloon hats and 4 balloon animals for the kids on the ride. The goat farmers declared before the Roadblock that gays were made for this task, meanwhile Will the smaller substitute teacher had a horrible traumatic melt down due to the balloons. Will was shaking and sweating like crazy as his little fingers tried desperately to make balloon figures. The teachers fell to a distant last place do to Will’s problems and thought for sure their race was over. But…
1. Some people are just cursed. Now we do not know what kind of person Amy is other than our assumptions after one show. She has overcome having both her legs amputated, her and Daniel were screwed out of first place during the first leg of the race, and they experienced some of the worst taxi problems of any team in amazing Race history. Amy and Daniel were near the front of the pack for most of the leg, but then they got in the most cosmically fucked taxi cab in Indonesia. Despite other teams also having bad taxi drivers, Amy and Daniel were put completely out of the race by theirs and thus finished last. The final clue said that “the last place team MAY be eliminated”, but that was complete bullshit because Amy and Daniel were in fact eliminated. This would have been a great time for the producers to keep a team around. Lord knows they have changed the rules on the fly before, like last season when the producers kept Mark and Bopper on despite 2 last place finishes during individual legs of the race. Maybe Amy is a terrible person who deserves bad things to happen to her, but I do not think anyone deserves to be so royally fucked out of such a huge event in their life, just because a cab driver is a complete asshole and couldn’t admit that he had no fucking clue where anything was.
The Final order was: 1st-Twins. 2nd-Texan couple. 3rd- Chip n Dales. 4th-Abi & Ryan. 5th-Goat Farmers. 6th-Long hair team. 7th- models/former college athletes/hot ladies. 8th- monster truck couple. 8th- substitute teachers. 9thand eliminated- Amy and Daniel who just had horrible luck and I am upset about their elimination.